IN THIS PODCAST
- Conditions for an amicable divorce discussion
CONDITIONS FOR AN AMICABLE DIVORCE DISCUSSION
- The foundation of it all is to create safety and take all threats off the table. Work with collaboration and sincerity. Make sure there are no threats, passive-aggressive or otherwise.
- Identify and set out boundaries between yourself and your partner to encourage effective conversations.
- Find a spatial boundary; a quiet, calm place without distractions where you can talk face-to-face or face-to-face over the phone.
- Find a boundary around time; set out an hour maximum or 10 minutes minimum in order to have a structured and focused conversation.
- Create a boundary of topics; remain focused on the topic at hand instead of floating around, because an open-ended conversation could lead you two down a rabbit hole.
- Do not go to war. Be wired for love, not for war. If you catch yourself or your partner making snide comments, you need to stop yourself, regroup or stop the talk in order to keep the conversation from becoming destructive or sour.